Saturday, July 23, 2005

The American Spirit












Yesterday, I was fortunate to have photographed the humbling Great Lakes traveller, the American Spirit. (click on image to enlarge)

This daunting vessel was just travelling under the Bluewater Bridge(s) between Sarnia, Ontario and Port Huron, Michigan on its way out into Lake Huron to some unknown destination.

I had since learned that the length of this ship is over 1000 feet, which is 3 times the length of a football field!

While I stood on the Canadian bank and watched this incredible 'journeyman' slowly but surely, and amazingly silently, move out into the waters of Lake Huron, I could not help but think that this vessel also symbolized the undaunting spirit of the American people, my neighbours across the water.

This ship, which was just one of a fleet of '1000' footers, and designed to carry iron ore, was christened August 21st, 1978 at Detroit, MI.

It is a true ingenuity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home